REVIEW: BEAUTYBLENDER

I was definitely one of those people who could NOT decide whether I wanted to spend $25 on the Beauty Blender. I mean, it's just a sponge, it should work like a normal $3 pack of 10, right? There have been so many amazing reviews about it being a "holy grail" product, and "can't live without it" but for some reason I was never really convinced to run to Sephora and buy it. I really enjoy using my Sigma F80 Flat top brush for foundation, when I decide to wear it. I'm more of a quick splash of BB cream, concealer, powder&good to go person. So I don't really experiment with different techniques of applying foundation. Finally I decided, hell I can always return it if it sucks, I suppose I can finally try it out...and let me tell you, I wish i made this decision YEARS ago! Now I see why so many people have a bunch of these suckers!



I had purchased the original Pink beauty blender because there was quite a difference in negative reviews of the pink, black and white version. Many people have said the black version does NOT work as well as the pink(although the Black one is supposed to be the "Pro Beauty Blender"), and I wanted to make sure that if I was going to buy one, that there was a better chance that I'm going to like since they are pretty pricey for a makeup sponge. The white ones supposedly stain and look dirty very quickly, which is kind of obvious since it's white. Unless you're bleaching it(which you should NOT DO, EVER with your BB) something white is not going to stay crisp and clean forever. If you're using it on yourself I think the white would be fine, but if I was a client I would not want someone using a stained sponge on my skin. Even though it is clean, it still just doesn't look right. Since I plan on just using the Beauty Blender on myself for now, I would have purchased the white one, but the Sephora I went to only had the black&pink version.

When I opened up the package, the first thing I did was wash it. I had read a lot of complaints that the Beauty Blender would leak pink dye every time they wash it/get it wet for use, so I didn't want to have to worry about using my BB and having a pink-toned face every time. Thankfully I did not have the colour leaking problem at all. I rinsed it in lukewarm water for about a minute,squeezing out as much water as I could and there was a small amount of dye in the water, but after that I've had no problem at all with dye leaking. I've had it for about 3 weeks and deep cleaned it a few times with no sign of pink dye since. 

Soaking the BB in water and feeling it expand in your hand is the weirdest feeling. It literally takes seconds to fully expand. I think that's one of the reasons I like it so much! As you can see from the picture above beside an EOS lip balm, it doubles in size when wet. 

When I'm about to use my BeautyBlender, I squeeze it in a bowl of water for about 20 seconds, and squeeze out as much water as I can once it's fully expanded. After that, I squeeze it again in a towel for a few seconds to get out any excess water. I feel like if the Beauty Blender is still too wet when you use it, your foundation application is VERY sheer and dewy, which I'm personally not a fan of. I have enough problems with oily skin, I don't need an extra dewy look to make me look greasier. But, if you're prone to dry skin, then that look is perfect for you.


I tried to make a picture comparing the lighter and heavier coverage with the Beauty Blender on the back of my hand. Near the bottom on both sides I drew a line with Anastasia Dipbrow Pomade, which stays completely put once dried. As you can see, the line is totally covered on the right side, and slightly faded on the left. I used MAC Studio Fix Fluid in NW25 here.



What I really like about the Beauty Blender is it's shape, and how versatile it is. Like I said above, if there's more water in the sponge when you use it the application is sheer. So with that in mind you really have control over how much coverage you want with your foundation/concealer. The pointed tip stays pointed even when it's expanded, so its perfect to get in the contours of your nose and underneath the eye for concealer. I find it's also great for blending out contour colour under your cheekbones&the sides of your nose, since you don't want your contour overblended, which can happen if you're using the bottom rounded side.

Overall I would give the Beauty Blender a rating of 4/5. The one thing I really don't like is how long it takes the sponge to dry after using it. I left my BB on top of the case it came in for over 8 hours, and it STILL wasn't fully dry. It makes me a little wary because I have heard horror stories of mold developing on the sponges if they are moist for too long. If you own the Black BB, it is harder to notice the mold forming than on the lighter coloured BBs. Other than that I'm in love with this, and will definitely be purchasing more in the future. They give an amazing airbrushed look, are very versatile, easy to clean and easy to use. If you are an artist, these are great to bring for jobs.
They can be purchased at Sephora.com or Sephora stores. Just one sponge is between $24-27, I think the white beauty blender is actually cheaper than the pink. There are multi-packs available that come with two sponges, or a sponge and a cleaner.
What do you think of the BB? Any favourite colour of them?

Comments