5 Beauty Tips to Banish Dry Skin

Dry weather tends to bring the worst out in our skin. Dry weather leads to dry, flakey skin. For the women who wear makeup on a daily basis, this can lead to patchy foundation that flakes off throughout the day (Gross, I know). Thankfully, there are so many beauty items out that can banish dry skin for good and bring out that hydrated glow year round!

1. Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate!

I really can't stress this enough. Exfoliating is probably your best bet to tackle skin that is dry, cracked, and just lacks the appearance of hydration.
Any type of exfoliation is good exfoliation, just as long as you're getting that layer of dead skin off your face. My personal favourite is the Clarisonic Mia, which can be found at Sephora, Macys, Hudsons Bay, etc. It's quite steep in price for a machine that scrubs your face, but it is 100% worth it. They have various heads you can purchase for your skin type as well. Since the dry weather has been so hard on my skin, I'm sticking with the Sensitive brush head as to not irritate my skin any more than it is.
It's best to exfoliate 2-3x a week, but if your skin will allow it daily use is great.

2. Moisturize

This is probably the most important step of all. If you exfoliate and don't properly moisturize after, you're really causing more harm than good. You need a layer of moisture to quench your skin underneath, or else the issue of dry skin can never really be resolved.


My all-time favourite cream for extremely dry skin is the Ultra Repair Cream by FirstAidBeauty. I got it as a 500 point perk from Sephora and couldn't believe the results I got from it. It's a very heavy cream, so I recommend only using at night before bed. I also have eczema on my hands that gets worse with the dry weather, and since using this on my hands as well I have noticed a significant change in my skin. My eczema is virtually non-existent now. This one has definitely gone into my "Holy Grail" list.

Another key product I use for dry skin is a serum that is designed to hydrate. Serums are awesome because they're concentrated ingredients, so this mixed with a good moisturizer=heaven for dry skin.
One of my all time favourite hydrating serums is the Ultra Repair Hydrating Serum by FirstAidBeauty. It's very lightweight and can be used in the morning and evening for the full benefit. 

During the day you don't want to use such a heavy cream on your face. My go-to daily moisturizer is Origins GinZing Moisturizer. It's light enough that it won't feel greasy, but absorbs quickly and keeps my skin looking refreshed all day. One thing about this cream, is when you first apply it there is a strong citrus smell. The smell does go away quickly, but if you don't care for citrus you probably won't like this cream. Other than that it's a great daily moisturizer.

3. Masks are your Friend!

 A great way to give your skin extra hydration is using a mask that you leave on overnight. I got the Laniege Water Sleeping Mask as a sample and INSTANTLY fell in love with it. After using this I woke up with super soft and glowy skin! As soon as I was finished my sample I ordered the full size. A little goes a long way with this product so it will last quite some time.
Any mask that is hydrating will benefit your skin greatly. When your skin is dry it needs more moisture than usual, so the more the better!

4. Dry Air = Dry Skin

You don't need to purchase 500 different moisturizing products to get rid of dry skin, although some skincare is necessary.
One great way to help give your skin a boost is using a humidifier when you sleep. Furnaces in your home as well as space heaters at work blast dry, hot air which aids in wreaking havoc on your skin. Using a humidifier where you are the most helps balance out the humidity in the air, helping your skin absorb some of that moisture as well. 

5. Hydrate From the Inside Out


Water isn't only beneficial for weight loss. When you drink the recommended amount of water in a day, you're washing out toxins as well as adding hydration to the epidermis. Even though you're using moisturizer on your skin, it's always best to treat problems from the inside out.The most common goal of water to drink is 8 glasses a day. 



Did you know? Studies show dry skin tends to age faster than oilier skin. You need to keep your skin as hydrated as possible to prevent premature lines and wrinkles, especially in the sensitive eye area!
Any more helpful tips for dry skin? Comment below!

Comments